More distro-hopping

eOS, despite having a nice interface, started to annoy me. Little things that I take for granted, like not seeing the progress of a downloading file (which admittedly might just be a midori thing and not eOS generally), not being able to plug in my scanner and have it work (even though it was detected and correctly identified by simplescan!) and not being able to pin custom app icons to the dock or app menu - even though I was getting my hands dirty making .desktop files in the command line and everything!

The music player was doing my head in as well. Duplicate songs might have come from my rsync experiments, but they were a ball-ache to clear up. And I couldn't install Steam via the package manager either, I had to use the same debian script I used for #!. There was some other stuff as well, to do with the file manager. It was death by a thousand cuts really.

I'm sure eOS will be really good in a couple of years, but for the time-being I think I need something more fully-featured. What's next then? Well, did some repartioning and stuck Zorin on there, thinking that might be the way forward - it's not! It feels very like eOS, actually, but skinned like you're a 14 year old boy who wants to pretend he's piloting the Enterprise. I tried the "scanner test", but it's simplescan as well and didn't work any better than eOS. I also started getting some error connected to the theme every time I tried to log in, which was balls. 

So, I'm back on Linux Mint 17, and feeling more confident. And I've installed cairo-dock because I started getting into plank from eOS. And I'm using mate instead of cinnamon, which I think performs better for my purposes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes