XPS todo

1) Upgrade bios to A04 (Store the update binary in /boot/efi or on a USB flash drive and use the F12 key during bootup to update).

2) Download linux headers and broadcom-wl driver module tarball to another computer and transfer to the XPS by usb/flashcard. I assume I need to install these in the live arch environment to give me access to the internet, then go to step 3), continue installation, and remember to install the drivers in chroot as well...

I am not going to use the broadcom-wl-dkms as I don't fancy the potential hassle and don't expect to be upgrading the kernel super-often (though maybe in Arch I'll be obliged to).

See the broadcom arch wiki page for more info and troubleshooting. There's useful stuff on the article's discussion page, too. I should say *potentially* useful stuff.
Tip: Broadcom users: If wifi-menu and iwlist scan fail after driver installation and reboot, try disabling "Wireless Switch" control in the BIOS.
Tip: Broadcom users: If your WiFi connection drops constantly, try disabling NetworkManager (if you have it installed) and fall back to using wifi-menu.

3) Install Arch via the normal process (the normal process for me involves setting up logical volumes via a live distro. Should I try from command line this time?

Audio. If the microphone doesn't work then appararently I'll need to backport patches into my kernel. I don't have a scooby how to go about that, so I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

Touchpad. These are all on the same arch wiki page, if I want 'em. Don't know why I'm linking to individual sections here....

Summary:

1) download bios update (done - in dropbox, md5 OK)
2) download linux-headers and broadcom-wl
3) transfer the above software to usb stick
4) update bios
5) boot to arch live
6) install wifi drivers and get wifi working
7) create EFI system partition and LVM configuration
8) Proceed with Arch install
9) Install systemd-boot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes