#! Probook changes 4

Pretty sure I've done some more low-level tinkering that I've not recorded here, but I must've been pretty confident about it.

Not so this, my first attempt to get the fingerprint scanner working. I've done a fair bit of reading rather than my usual trial-and-error cut'n'paste command line hackery and here's where I'm at:

>sudo apt-get install fprint-demo gets me a way to test functionality before getting too deep into the suggestions here

>lsusb shows me that the validity sensor is recognised, but I think I'm missing the drivers

* which can be found here, but need converting from rpm to deb

>sudo apt-get install alien

>sudo alien Validity-Sensor-Setup-4.4-100.00.x86_64.rpm

>sudo dpkg -i validity-sensor-setup_4.4-101_amd64.deb

Guess I need to go for a reboot now before I can see if it works.

...

Nope, still getting Status: No devices found.

Could it be that I need the fprint libraries?

> sudo apt-get install libpam-fprintd

> fprintd-enroll
list_devices failed: No devices available

Damn.

...

Promising lead here

I've already installed the Suse driver (I checked it was the same) and now I've converted libfprint-0.0.6-18.20.1.src.rpm to validity-sensor-setup_4.4-101_amd64.deb and installed that too. What's next?

I'm going to assume the fprint-demo I have is the same, so download libfprint-0.0.6-18.20.1.src.rpm convert to libfprint_0.0.6-19.2_amd64.deb
and install.

I'm leaving it here for now, but things are moving in the right direction. Look at the specifics of the converted deb packages to see what's happened on the system.

The vcsFPService daemon is failing to start because I've not created the symlinks properly, or don't have the correct libs to point at, or something (search for the name of the missing file below):  

vcsFPService: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm not ready to admit defeat on this yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes