rsync

In some respects I'm living in a brave new world of computing convenience these days. I have my external HDD sitting in the corner with the raspberry pi serving it's contents up to the tv, kindle and ipad. Photographs and music (which I never used to backup in any kind of coherent way), I now send to the HDD over scp by SSH or (latterly) ftp from the file manager.

But I want more, dammit! I want the photos and music to be backed up automatically at regular intervals so all I have to do is plonk them in the right local directories and forget about them. I've been aware for a while that rsync might be the way to go about this.

After reading about a bit, making sure rsysnc was present on the pi and laptop, etc:

rsync -r --size-only /home/mitch/Music root@192.168.1.107:/media/Seagate\ Expansion\ Drive/Music

And a similar experiment:

rsync -r --size-only /home/mitch/images/photographs/copy_06_june_2014/ root@192.168.1.107:/media/Seagate\ Expansion\ Drive/Other\ files/photos

Both failed because a new directory was generated:192.168.1.107/media/Seagate. Also, the photos showed up there with a different logo and claimed to have no data when I tried to view.

Looking around this morning, I think I'll need to enclose the paths in single (and double) quotes because of the top answer here.

Assuming that works, I want to demonstrate that nothing will be deleted from the backup drive because it's been deleted on another drive (pretty sure that's OK). Maybe use -a option to preserve the datat for photos? Does that seem likely? Anyway, sort out the photo data loss issue.

Then:

- Figure out exactly what the rsync daemon does
- get cron jobs set up to sync folders on a pre-established schedule
- get data transferring from multiple machines
- get the raspi to "pull" files from the attached machines instead of them "pushing" to the raspi


try

http://maebmij.org/~jim/howto/rsync-itunes.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes