Dell Latitude E6520

Got an old laptop for free from a friend sympathetic to my plight. It's a bit of a dinosaur compared to my lost XPS, but it seems to have 8 gig of ram and be more or less functional.

When I was installing Arch on the XPS I had to get to grips with the UEFI boot system, which I've not bothered with before. But since it's the future and since I've got another Dell with UEFI support, I figured I'd have another stab rather than use the distinctly legacy approach of GRUB.

On the XPS I had to mess about quite a bit, but I eventually got there. The Latitude has given me more trouble, partly because I didn't take any notes on the XPS process (stupid!) and partly because I've had to start from scratch rather than have an existing UEFI partition and so forth ahead of time (or the Ubuntu installation that came with it).

So I'm going to take this opportunity to update my Arch install process. I'm learning it pretty well now, having spent waaaaaaay more time installing and configuring Arch for its own sake than actually using it for BAU computing tasks...

Will start another post for the step-by-step. I'd quite like to understand some of the stuff I'm doing there, too, so I may look deeper into some of what's happening rather than just blindly following.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes