HP 4340s probook

Work had this laptop with a broken screen and I was asked if I could use it for anything - hells yeah!

£40 for a new screen from Laptop Adapters via Amazon, a few Youtube videos and half an hour's work and I have a new computer.

I had intended to keep Windows 7 on there for games and for C. to use and so forth, but I actually couldn't stand it. Apart from how sloooow it was and the uuuuppppddaaattteesss and crappy touchpad functionality and whatnot, the hdd was all partitioned out to "hp tools" and "hp recovery" and stuff, so I couldn't even get a satisfactory LVM setup to dual boot with.

After tooling around for a while I finally scrubbed it and put on linux Mint 17... which I also couldn't get partions I was happy with since I didn't have enough control at install time. Anyhoo, after days of messing around with different options I finally decided enough was enough and used a #! live disc to set up an extended partition with a linux volume group and / and /home volumes for #! and two more OSs (should I need them) and a common swap volume.

I'm a wee bit annoyed that I have to do loads of work to get the new lappy up to speed, including some issues I didn't have on my Asus: tint2 has scrappy icons (compositing?) and the wireless doesn't work otb. But I'm hopeful that the notes I've taken here will save me a lot of time when it comes to installing Citrix receiver and so forth.

I'm also keen to carry some of my Arch stylings over to the new machine. I booted into it for the first time in weeks and was really pleased with the login and look of the desktop. Good to have a fresh install of #! to which I can apply some recommended changes.

All of which is very long-winded, interesting to no-one but me and probably not even interesting to me in the future. But it explains my new "to-do" widget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes