wifi drama

xps suddenly started having wifi problems. something weird with NetworkManager and the brcmfmac driver/kernel module. p2p_disc error and the network interface wlp58s0 already assigned and nonsense like that.

After fucking around for ages I thought I'd identified the issue as being a conflict between netctl and NM, but I've tried disabling netctl and it doesn't seem to resolve the problem with NM.

netctl does, however, work perfectly for me, but it's not that useful for logging on to random networks when I'm out and about - the whole point of the xps.

so, I'vebeen all round the houses, even trying to get rid of NM completely (can't becuase it's a cinnamon dependency *sigh*) and use systemd.networkd with the wpa_gui  (which is promising, but I can't get to work. I've also mesed about hiding .conf files and creating test ones at /etc/wpa_supplicant /etc/systemd/network, so look out for those if you're looking at this in the future!)

my current plan is to get rid of NM as much as possible:

Disable the NetworkManager applet

Even if you do not use NetworkManager and remove the Network Manager applet from the default panel, Cinnamon will still load nm-applet and display it in the system tray. You cannot uninstall the package, because it is required by cinnamon and cinnamon-control-center, but you can still easily disable it. To do so copy the autostart file from /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop to ~/.config/autostart/nm-applet.desktop. Open it with your favorite text editor and add at the end X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false.

and just use netctl, since it seems wifi-menu can be used to scan and connect on an ad-hoc basis

EDIT:

So I fannied around for ages before realising that to get netctl-auto working I needed to

netctl stop my-network

systemctl start netctl-auto@wlp58s0.service

systemctl enable nettctl-auto@wlp58.service

then running netctl-auto list should show a list of all the profiles in /etc/netctl with an asterisk beside the currently attached one.

Also, manually modifying the nm-applet.desktop file(s) (I added the same line to the original), so I ran that symlink command.

Rebooted and the network icon's gone, network up from login OK.

Now to check if it survives suspend...

EDIT:

Of course it doesn't. *sigh*

going to try this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/netctl#Problems_with_netctl-auto_on_resume



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes