christ

OK, got netctl-auto handling my wifi as per the instructions on the nrtctl page in the Arch wiki (see last post for link).

I also added a new service as described here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/netctl#Problems_with_netctl-auto_on_resume

to handle automatic reconnection on resume from suspend. All good.

Then I had a nice time adding some lines to .conkyrc to display relevant information about the network connection (when up). So now I think I have everything I need.

The next ball-ache started when I started trying to add a netctl profile for the eduroam service at work.

Not only could I not get this working, in the process of trying I somehow managed to stop my previously functional netctl-auto service from doing it's thing. *sigh*.

Anyway, long story short: after trying all kinds of start/stop enable/disable I found that netctl start [profile] worked fine, it just wouln't work automatically.

I found this forum post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162153

which seems like the same deal, and sure enough after deleting the dodgy eduroam profile from /etc/systemctl and rebooting, the netctl-auto service seems to be running again (according to system-ctl --type=service anyway; I have no connection I can get on for a proper test here.)

So it seems that netctl-auto goes through all the profiles and parses them and if ONE is probelmatic the service won't start. Kind of annoying! I guess the lesson is to leave it to wifi-menu to generate the profiles in future.

I also don't know if just connecting once via wifi-menu is enough to add a new netctl profile to the netctl-auto pool, or if I have to netctl-auto enable [profile] to allow it. Surely not?!

I also now see the value of giving the profiles a name other than what's generated from the SSID by wifi-menu. It's annoying to have to find and retype the whole bastard thing when troubleshooting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes