install rpm.tar.gz drivers

[edit: gave up trying to build my own package for these drivers - too hard for me right now! Found drivers for the mx500 series in the AUR. Worked a treat when I first installed them, but can't seem to find the printer now. another issue for the list!]

[edit] I needed to start and enable the service:

systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service

systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service



The printer is canon pixma mx535. the site actually has linux drivers, but only in rpm

http://www.canon-printerdrivers.com/2015/02/canon-pixma-mx535-driver-download.html?m=0

I've downloaded the first one, gunzipped it, then extracted it from the tar

tar xvf scangearmp-mx530series-2.30-1-rpm.tar

This gave me a bunch of individual rpm files. I ignore the i686 ones, leaving

scangearmp-common-2.30-1.x86_64.rpm
scangearmp-mx530series-2.30-1.x86_64.rpm

I run

rpmextract.sh  scangearmp-common-2.30-1.x86_64.rpm

and it gives me /etc and /usr filepaths containing udev rule

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes