Asus UEFI

Just realised I never concluded my strand on trying to get arch installed with UEFI boot on the asus laptop.

I've given up, but I think I have good reason to. It's clear that unless the arch live iso boots with UEFI, the hooks, or efi variables or whatever (this happened a while ago) are not available to the ne w installation. The asus wouldn't boot in UEFI mode when I burned a disk either, and none of the suggested workarounds were getting me anywhere (the most common idea was to copy the contents of one efi boot file to another - presumably to force UEFI boot - but then I got into this whole read-only filesystem bullshit that was too much of a K-hole to resolve).

Funnily enough, almost all the references to this issue that I could find online had to do with asus motherboards of one sort or another, so I'm chalking this up to shitty UEFI implementation on my cheapo asus and leaving it at that.

The main purpose of the exercise was just to see how fast I could get arch running off an SSD - I don't really even need UEFI to test that, but by the time I'd done all this stuff I couldn't be bothered fixing up the install to use GRUB so I just stuck mint back on there and called it a day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes