remove window decoration

I want to get rid of window decorations.

Hard to find simple instructions, but eventually made an attempt:

How can I turn off window titlebars (window decorations) in gnome shell/mutter?
and where it links
the instructions under "Method 2" here,

First I had to find the xml file. Look in ~/.themes/curretntly\ selected\ theme//index.theme

This pointed me to the theme Ambience-Flat-AA-GnomeShell/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml which I backed up and then edited with the values described in the post. Now to restart X and see what's what...

[Edit] nothing happened. I'm pretty sure the window decoration can be removed via metacity settings or some gtk tweak, but in the end I installed devilspie and gdevilspie and following a reboot, I have no titlebars .neat

[edit, 16/1/16]  Finally decided that the lack of borders made distiniguishing all my title-bar-less windows with identical grey styling diffucult. Activated compositing and immediately got drop shadows, which resolves it for me. It should also help with the screen tear I get in my browser (qutebrowser).  Just need to get some control over the depth of the shadows and what applications they apply to. I don't want it on the panel, for example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes