quick change audio output

Currently when I plug the laptop into the tv via HDMI I have to manually switch the audio from analogue stereo to hdmi digital (or whatever) by right-clicking the volume applet, choosing preferences, changing to the hardware tab, scrolling up and down trying to remember which profile to use... it's a hassle.

So I want to improve on that. My own efforts got nowhere so I searched and found this forum page. The script itself doesn't work for me ("Sink 9 does not exist") which I'm kind of relieved about because that might have been too easy.

It's enough of a lead to show me that a small bash script should do the job though and I've already learned:

* that by putting executable files in /usr/local/bin (and doing chown 755 if necessary) they can be run like any other program.

* that devices have (at least hdmi has) a status file in their folder that's just a text file listing the device status. Run cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status to see. hopefully I can use this to actually change the output device dynamically when it detects connection somewhere down the line.

* grep command, always a bit unclear to me, is a bit clearer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes