Xorg error

can't star x as non-root user.

I think this might be the problem:

xinit doesn't read the system-wide /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file, so you either have to copy it into your home directory as name .xserverrc, or specify vt$XDG_VTNR as command line option in order to preserve session permissions.

will try later.

[edit]

So, it wasn't anything to do with install, permissions, or config I reckon, just user error. The answer is in the blullet point directly above the one quoted from the xinit page of the above:

The above commands run Xorg on the same virtual terminal the user is logged in to. [1] This maintains an authenticated session with logind, and prevents bypassing the screen locker by switching terminals.
What I was doing was logging in as root, tooling about a bit, then su'ing to my user profile. D'Oh!

Works fine when I login as user.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes