Keybindings XPS

TL;DR

xmodmap -e 'keycode 135='


Might need to add it to .xinitrc or .bashrc for permanence


Backstory

Wanted to also disable caps lock and context menu in Arch.

Capslock can be disabled with

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps

which maybe should be in .xinitrc but I just put it in .bashrc because I don't care any more.

[Update: found I could disable it in keyboard settings! Doh. no option for context menu however]

Trying to do the same with context menu key was harder, since I couldn't identify a setxkbmap option for it (see this gist and localectl list-x11-keymap-options for why).

So then I'm looking for a utility that'll give me the key when I hit it in the terminal, so I end up installing xorg-xev and its output is not readily comprehensible but it seems that this is the data:

KeyPress event, serial 38, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,

    root 0x55c, subw 0x0, time 1940314, (592,577), root:(657,1719),

    state 0x0, keycode 135 (keysym 0xff67, Menu), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

    XFilterEvent returns: False

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/71419 - this looked promising (xmodmap -e 'keycode 135=') but doesn't work for me.

... except when I run it AGAIN, it does... fuckin computers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes