Node issues

Not sure quite what happened, but I pacman -Syu‘d as normal and got a bunch of errors relating to npm (basically a whole list of exists in filesystem errors).

Now, if I’d been sensible with the xps like I was with the latitude I would’ve done $sudo pacman -Syu --ignore npm , seen a missing ca-certificates.crt file and (hopefully) found my way to the Arch news posting that told me how to resolve. I could then have --ignore‘d npm or whatever and figured out the real deal later.

What I did do was rename /usr/lib/node_modules/npm (the source of the files I could see) to npm.bak then upgrade as normal. This has fucked me.

Then I get errors any time I try to run any node or npm command saying shared library error, libcrypto.so.1.0.0 does not exist. Symlinked that to whatever libcrypto I did have, got same issue for libssl.so.1.0.0. Symlinked that , got some error about undefined ssl symbols or I dunno what.

So. uninstalling and resintalling npm and node doesn’t work. downgrading the kernal and node applications doesn’t work. deleting the whole /npm folder and reinstalling doesnt work.

I finally seem to managed to get it working by installing nvm and doing nvm install 6.10 (which is LTS).

Lesson: read the Arch news before upgrading, like they say!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

no sound in Papers Please

pdf to png/jpg/etc

Crunchbang Changes